Well, just a short note about the fact that since yesterday, I pushed new FBX 7.4 binary exporter in Blender’s FBX IO addon. So it should be available in this night’s builds of our buildbot!
Here is a short list of what’s working, implemented but buggy, and still TODO currently:
Implemented and expected to be working!
- Objects, and simple parent relations between objects (not through constraints, though).
- Meshes, including:
- (Split)Normals, tangents and bitangents (does not handle the 7.4-new “weights” for those, though).
- Smooth groups (edges or faces).
- Faces’ material indices.
- Materials (Phong or Lambert shading).
- Textures (only image/video type, embedding should work, needs ‘COPY’ path mode).
- Materials <-> Textures relations: textures can affect:
- DiffuseFactor, DiffuseColor.
- TransparencyFactor, TransparentColor.
- EmissiveFactor, EmissiveColor.
- SpecularFactor, SpecularColor.
- Shininess, ShininessExponent.
- ReflectionFactor, ReflectionColor.
Implemented, but buggy/needing testing!
- Armature linked to mesh. Binding code itself seems to work OK, but bone’s orientations are usually completely wrong when I import back, still have to figure out what happens here…
I.e TODOs that need to be addressed before we can consider the exporter finished.
- Normal/bump connections for Materials <-> Textures relations – includes handling more mapping types too.
- A few meshes layers (like e.g. edge crease).
- Add option to export other geometries (curves, texts, metaballs) as meshes.
- Add support for some basic objects constraints (trackto, limit loc/rot/scale, …).
I.e. things that we might want to add, if time allows.
- Export Curves (FBX is supposed to support them)? Not sure it’s much portable though, so probably not worth waiting time on it?